Shrimp Scampi was one the first ways I learned how to each fish. I have fond memories of sitting at the dinner table not wanting to eat it but then being enveloped by the fragrant aromas of garlic and wine. It was intoxicating. In no time at all, my mom had me eating shrimp and I have done the same with my son. It is a tried and test method- I promise!
Cook’s note: Make the pasta first and when it is done, cook the shrimp. It goes that fast!
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
- 1/3 pound angel hair pasta
- 1 pound, peeled and deveined shrimp
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- ½ cup of dry white wine
- ½ cup chopped fresh basil
- Parmesan cheese, grated
- Prepare the pasta per the package instructions. Be careful with angel hair pasta – it cooks in 3 minutes, so don’t over cook it!
- After the pasta is done, heat the butter and oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and then immediately add the shrimp. Pour in the wine and let it simmer for 1 minute or until the alcohol burns off. The shrimp will be done with they are opaque. Keep in mind that over cooked shrimp gets tough so don’t walk away from this, as this dish is done in minutes. Toss the pasta with the shrimp, basil and cheese, to your liking.
- Serve immediately.