This is my take on classic Buffalo Chicken but made healthy. If your family likes a little heat, this is a great recipe the whole family will enjoy. The wrap is made with butter lettuce and the chicken is baked not fried giving the wrap a nice crunch without the fat. Serve a mixture of carrots, cucumbers, celery, and pea pods on the side with the ranch for a fun meal full of flavor and crunch.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
for the ranch dressing
- 1 cup reduced fat mayonnaise
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon green onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh dill, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh basil, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh chives, chopped
- ½ cup low-fat buttermilk
- salt and pepper
- *good blue cheese, optional and can be added to the dressing if you prefer blue cheese with buffalo chicken
for the chicken
- 1 pound chicken tenders
- ½ cup hot sauce, Red Hot Wings is great to use
- 1 cup dried breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
for the wrap
- whole butter lettuce leaves
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- To make the Ranch Dressing, whisk the following ingredients in a bowl then set aside to meld the flavors: mayonnaise, garlic clove, green onion, fresh flat-leaf parsley, fresh dill, fresh basil, fresh chives, low-fat buttermilk, salt and pepper to taste. *Optional add good blue cheese crumbles to the dressing if you prefer blue cheese with buffalo chicken.
- For the chicken, drench the chicken the hot sauce. In bowl, add the breadcrumbs, onion powder, salt and pepper. Coat each piece of chicken in the mixture.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicon mat. Place the chicken on the sheet so that the sides do not touch. Place in the oven for 30 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Place each strip of chicken in a lettuce leaf and add a little ranch dressing.
- For the kids, if they won’t eat the chicken in the lettuce leaf, let them dip the strips of chicken separately in the ranch dressing. Add a bunch of vegetables on the side to dip into the dressing.
© 2013, Nicole. All rights reserved.