Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cooking Time: 5-1/2 hours (Slow Cooker)
- 5 beef short ribs (have butcher cut them into 3” pieces)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon Chinese five-spice powder
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 (750 milliliters) bottle sake
- 1-1/2 cups mirin (found in the Asian section of the supermarket)
- 3-1/4 cups orange juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 bunch scallions, chopped
- 2 inch piece ginger, peeled and sliced
- 3 large garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 cup soy sauce
- Chinese egg noodles (found at Asian Markets or in specialty supermarkets)
- Rub the short ribs with salt, pepper, and the Chinese five-spice. Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat and add the oil. Sear the short ribs for 6 minutes on each side, or until well browned. Remove and set aside. Carefully add the sake and mirin, scraping up any brown bits on the bottom of the pan.
- Transfer meat, sake, mirin, orange juice, sugar, scallions, ginger, garlic and soy sauce to a slow cooker. Cook on high for 5 hours.
- Serve ribs over noodles and ladle sauce over top.
© 2011 – 2012, A Family that Eats Together. All recipes and posts are property of A Family that Eats Together and are provided for other’s to enjoy. All rights reserved.